Is your Nonprofit Board on Board?
On Thursday, May 7, I will be conducting a training with my dear friend and colleague, Ayda Sanver at the Center for Nonprofit Advancement in Washington, D.C. We’ll be discussing a topic that I know is near and dear to many – disengaged boards and miscommunication between nonprofit board and staff.
How can these two groups work together for the betterment of the community, and what tools can help them do so? This makes me also think about leadership, and how passion for a mission can be tampered by focus on administrative matters.
Here are some tips for nonprofit leaders that might help:
- Be strategic and thoughtful about what you are able to accomplish
- Lay ground rules so everyone knows their role, expectations and place within the organization
- Maintain accountability on specific operational and fundraising tasks
- Have a strategic planning discussion at least annually to discuss the organization’s path and framework for the future
- Respect one another’s time, expertise and commitment to the cause
Join us for a deeper discussion on the topic – we know this will be helpful to you and your team.
This post originally appeared on the Center for Nonprofit Advancement’s website