What McDonald’s Can Teach Us About Grant Writing
McDonald’s was my favorite restaurant as a kid. I loved the French fries, burgers and getting a toy with my meal. I even had my birthday party at one location when I was eight (my friends and I enjoyed the play area). While my tastes have changed as I have gotten older, I always know what to expect at a McDonald’s and the same is probably true for most chain restaurants. What is it about the McDonald’s model that is important for us to consider in our own work?
- Quality vs. Quantity – McDonald’s prides itself on reaching a mass audience and producing the same quality of food each time. As you write grants, are you producing high quality grants each time or are you churning out proposals? Is there a way to improve quality while not sacrificing too much quantity (especially if you have growth goals)?
- Fast moving deadlines – Grant writing comes in waves and sometimes there are busy periods in your work. Are you able to keep the line of grants moving? Are there tools that you need to make your work more efficient or other resources to help you during busy periods? Perhaps map out your fiscal year and see how you should build in those requests in advance (if prior approval is needed).
- Customer service – Are you reaching out to current and prospective funders concerning your work? How are you engaging folks in what you do and making sure that their needs are met? Your board members and front-line staff can offer that much needed buffer in providing service with a smile to help you with your work.
- Using the drive thru – Are there ways to bypass certain bureaucracies in order to maintain focus on certain deadlines? Advanced notice always helps, as this can help alleviate burdens when trying to meet a fast-moving deadline.
- Will there be repeat customers? Your goal should always be renewal funding each year. Making sure that they are satisfied with how you have used their funds and engaging them throughout the year will help maximize your chances of renewal funding.
Will you be eating at a McDonald’s anytime soon? Save a French fry for me – they are still my favorite item on the menu!